Surprising HFCS food of the week!

>> Monday, May 11, 2009

It's been a while since I've posted a surprising HFCS food of the week, I think in part because I'm better at picking out my foods and avoiding HFCS these days, but every now and then I still find a product that catches me off guard. This is one of those products - mustards and horseradish sauce. A condiment with HFCS in itself is not that surprising, but mustards are usually pretty safe. Only occasionally do I come across a mustard with sugar, much less HFCS, in it. And horseradish sauce? Go figure!

I'm going to pick on one brand of condiment today, but I've been surprised by others as well. The particular horseradish sauce that caught us by surprise was Inglehoffer's Wasabi Horseradish. My husband loves horseradish mustard and all things wasabi, so he was drawn to this wasabi concoction at the grocery store today - and very disappointed to find HFCS as an ingredient. Who would have thought that a horseradish sauce would have HFCS in it? Inglehoffer's Cream Style Horseradish Sauce also has HFCS in it.


Then we move to Inglehoffer's mustards. Not all of them have HFCS, but their honey mustard (guess the honey just isn't sweet enough...), dijon mustard, and creamy dill mustard all contain HFCS. Seeing HFCS as an ingredient in their dijon mustard was especially shocking to me.

Fear not! There are lots and lots of HFCS-free mustards in your grocery store. In fact, unless the mustard is supposed to be a sweet one (like honey mustard), most mustards also have little to no added sugar. Regular Grey Poupon Dijon mustard is a good choice (though their Mild & Creamy version does have HFCS in it). Emeril's Kicked-Up Horseradish Mustard is a good choice if you like your mustard with a kick, and in fact none of Emeril's mustards contain HFCS. BAM!

Just a friendly reminder to check those ingredients of even the seeminly safest of products! HFCS slips in everywhere!

10 comments:

Hanlie May 11, 2009 at 6:49 AM  

I must say, that one caught me by surprise! You're right, we have to check the ingredients on EVERYTHING!

fatfighter May 11, 2009 at 8:09 AM  

I am always surprised by your "surprising..." posts! Bleh - why do they put that stuff in everything??? Yay for Emeril!

James Hubbard, M.D., M.P.H. May 11, 2009 at 9:40 AM  

Surprising indeed. You have to read the ingredients for everything.

Kara May 11, 2009 at 12:20 PM  

I doubt I would have thought to read the label on something that should be so spicy! Good catch!

Unknown May 11, 2009 at 4:26 PM  

I have my children trained now... They're 12, 8, 5 and nearly 2. When one asks for something at the grocery store, another (usually the 5 year old) will inevitably pipe up with a "Is there 'high corn syrup' in it?" The 12 year old reads the labels and proclaims it "Okay to ask for" or "off limits". It's very nice for me!

J in VA May 12, 2009 at 4:39 PM  

Recently I have found several honey mustards with HFCS in them--I guess the honey wans't sweet enough.

As a heads up--Hellman's honey mustard has honey and brown sugar only.

My 10yo dd has become the queen of label reading--I can barely get through the store without her reading everything!!

Anonymous May 15, 2009 at 11:16 AM  

I recently bought a pack of dried wild blueberries...after eating a few, I looked at the ingredients...shoulda just been blueberries right? Wrong! The second ingredient was HFCS!!! WHY?!?!?!!?

jh May 22, 2009 at 3:21 PM  

Thanks for the heads up! I know that when I went off sugar I was so surprised by how many things, condiments especially, had HFCS in them. And the ones that didn't had massive amounts of sugar! No wonder we are all so addicted to sugar.

jen
Boda weight loss Blog

heather September 8, 2009 at 3:36 PM  

HFCS is not the only thing that matters. we need to decrease our sugar consumption overall. we need to look for sugar content as well. don't be fooled into thinking HFCS has caused obesity. it's multifactorial!

- dr. heather (pediatrician

cathy September 8, 2009 at 4:06 PM  

Dr. Heather - I think that goes without saying. Frankly, I am not particularly concerned on a personal level with the obesity factor. I've seen that HFCS as an ingredient is a marker of a poor quality food. Does it mean that a food without HFCS is by default a good food? Of course not. But, I DO celebrate the demise of this ingredient. I don't think that much - or any - good comes from this ingredient. There are other issues related to HFCS that make me happy to ditch this ingredient. Anyway, all this to say that I make no apologies for giving up HFCS. I also make no apologies if others decide to do the same based on my posts. I'm certain that my family is better off for it.

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP