Meatless Monday - Nutty Granola Bars

>> Monday, March 15, 2010

I've posted my Chewy Granola Bars recipe a couple of times before on this blog.  It's a favorite around here and amazingly has remained pretty much unchanged for a couple of years.  Unchanged...until a couple of weeks ago.  Sometimes change just has to happen.  Some added spice, a dollop of almond butter, and voila!  Chewy Granola Bars are transformed into Nutty Granola Bars!

These granola bars are such a tasty and easy alternative to store-bought granola bars.  And while they do have butter and sugar in them, the ingredient list is simple, and I can control what I'm putting in them.  No hidden trans fat.  Only whole grains.  And with the addition of some nut butter, they get a  protein boost.  I feel content serving these as a snack to my kids - or even as a breakfast on special occasion. 

I used MaraNatha No-Stir Almond Butter (free samples were provided by MaraNatha for a previous review and giveaway), but I think that any nut butter would be fine.  I generally have only plain-jane natural peanut or almond butter on hand, and that is what I will probably use in the future.  For the spice, I opted for pumpkin pie spice, which is a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves.  Plain cinnamon would be a great substitute.

Give these a try!  Sometimes change is a very, very good thing.



Nutty Granola Bars

3 cups rolled oats (quick oats are fine)
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
1/4 cup and 3 TBSP butter, softened
1/3 cup honey
3 TBSP and 1 and 3/4 tsp packed brown sugar
3 TBSP nut butter of choice
1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
3 TBSP flaxseed meal or wheat germ (optional)

Preheat oven to 325 F. Lightly grease a 9"x13" pan.

In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well.

Firmly press mixture into the prepared pan. Bake at 325 F for 20 min or until golden brown. Let cool for 10 min and then cut into bars. Let bars cool completely in pan before removing or serving.  (This is so important!  They'll be very crumbly until they are absolutely cool.)  On hot summer days, might want to store in the fridge so that they're not as crumbly and the chocolate doesn't melt.

11 comments:

Amy (Super Healthy Kids) March 15, 2010 at 4:05 PM  

I love recipes that I don't have to go out and buy something special for. I have ALL these ingredients on hand.And they sound delicious.

Sagan March 15, 2010 at 8:02 PM  

Looks great! It's fun to make our own granola bars. What do you think would happen if some of the regular butter were replaced with either applesauce or just more nut butter?

Ann.Marcella March 16, 2010 at 5:20 PM  

One word- YUMM! I can't wait to try them :) Thanks for the delicious idea.

Lori March 19, 2010 at 5:16 AM  

Great combo on these. I'm always looking for variations on granola and bars. I haven't made any in a while so I'll have to try these.

fatfighter March 22, 2010 at 7:24 PM  

These look great! Do you happen to know the calories, etc.?

Christina March 23, 2010 at 8:23 AM  

I have made these twice for my family and we LOVE LOVE them. Due to our son's tree nut & peanut allergy, I substituted Sunbutter. Yummers. Thanks for sharing!

cathy March 23, 2010 at 12:14 PM  

Fatfighter - sorry, no idea on calories, etc. I'll try to plug it into a calculator later for you!

Mrs Chris - I'm thrilled to hear this! Isn't Sunbutter great? We steered away from nut butters when my kids were little, and Sunbutter always saved the day.

HGH April 8, 2010 at 4:45 AM  

I am loving it! Delicious recipe i will try to make it and will have fun with my friends......

Amy April 16, 2010 at 7:24 AM  

Have you heard of http://www.Lunchtaker.com? It is a site that my husband and I run with lots of lunch ideas. I saw your granola bars and thought you might want to post them on our site. We'd calculate nutrition for you, and link back to your blog. Check out the site and get in touch if you would like to post those or anything else. Great blog posts :) Amy

hgh growth hormone February 8, 2011 at 11:04 PM  

Well I'm habitually looking for variations on granola and bars. I haven't made any in a while so I'll have to trial these.

Unknown August 23, 2012 at 12:22 AM  

Your Nutty Granola Bars looks more yummy than those on the grocery store. I will try you healthy food recipes soon.

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP