Gorgonzala Sliders to make your mouth happy!

>> Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I know that most of the recipes that I've shared recently have been meatless, but believe it or not, we eat meat as part of our meals a lot too.  Confirmed omnivore here!  I've shared before that my kids complain equally well about meat and meatless meals.  In fact, with a few notable exceptions, my kids aren't huge fans of meat in general.  This meal is one of those notable exceptions.

I started making all of our own bread recently (more on that in a day or two), and that act kind of spurred the creation of this sliders recipe.  Why?  Well, now I make my hamburger and hot dog buns from scratch (thank you, bread machine!) and  can make cute little slider-size buns. 

Wait?  You don't know what a slider is?  Sliders are really just small hamburgers.  I've read that the term was originally coined to describe the small White Castle burgers, but sliders has since come to encompass any small burger.

My kids until recently have not been big fans of hamburgers.  And gorgonzola cheese?  Forget it!  But combine the two and put it on these fabulous buns, and they scarf them down.  They're really that good.  I like to top mine with some caramelized onions, tomato, and just a little ketchup.  The kids just want their sliders plain with ketchup on the side to dip in when the mood hits them.

The buns are a recipe that I found at RecipeZaar made specifically for bread machines.  (I do not make bread by hand if I can help it!)  The only change that I've made to the recipe is substituting white whole wheat flour for half of the all-purpose flour.  (Ok, and I don't brush with egg or add sesame seeds either.)  The whole wheat flour gives it a little chew, but they still are very soft rolls.  It's a great recipe for rolls, hamburger buns, or hot dog buns.  Just mold to the appropriate shape and let it rise!



Gorgonzola Sliders
I used ground elk for the sliders in the picture, but hamburger works just as well.  I also add more gorgonzola than seems sane, but I promise, it's a flavor combo that really works.  I mixed about 4 oz of crumbled gorgonzola cheese into about 1/2 lb of hamburger.  Mold into patties that will fit your buns, and broil or grill.  Top with caramelized onions or your topping of choice and enjoy!

Enjoy!

7 comments:

Anonymous April 20, 2010 at 5:41 PM  

I am going to try this,with store bought buns. I am ponder purchasing a bread machine.

Kara April 21, 2010 at 4:19 AM  

Yum yum! I love gorgonzola. And, I'm always so happy to see another happy bread machine user! I haven't used a store-bought hamburger or hot dog roll in years - once you go homemade, you can't go back :-)

Lori April 21, 2010 at 5:55 PM  

I just love sliders, something about mini-food. I haven't tried elk yet. You can get it around here on a limited basis, but I haven't made the purchase yet. I hear it is good.

cathy April 21, 2010 at 6:08 PM  

Lori - Elk and bison are big around here, though I haven't had it a lot. This batch of ground elk was a gift from a friend. We had expected the burgers to have a strong game flavor, but surprisingly, they didn't. If I had been served these elk burgers at a restaurant, I would have assumed they were just ground beef. Maybe it was just this particular elk...who knows!

Mariko April 25, 2010 at 2:01 PM  

I don't know why I've been afraid of gorgonzola. I have developed a bleu cheese taste over the years but I worry about the gorgonzola... This sounds yummy though so I'm reconsidering.

cathy April 25, 2010 at 4:04 PM  

Mariko - I think that Gorgonzola is a milder, sweeter blue cheese. I'm not really a big blue cheese fan, but I love Gorgonzola!

Unknown August 23, 2012 at 12:05 AM  

Yummy burger! It really made me crave for one. Thanks for the healthy food recipe.

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP