Our new drink obsession

>> Saturday, July 24, 2010

This post is really about my husband's drink obsession, but it's a good one.  The inspiration was from a friend of mine.  This friend would keep pitchers of water with submerged orange and citrus slices in her fridge in the summer for a light drink with just a little citrus kick.  I love this idea!  But while this is a great idea for home, it isn't always convenient when you're on the go.

The solution?  A product called True Lemon.  These little packets with crystallized lemon juice are easily portable and really do have a fresh-squeezed lemon flavor.  When I first bought some True Lemon to try, my husband was underwhelmed to say the least.  It's grown on him in a BIG way.  He adds a packet (or 3) to his water at home.  He adds a packet (or 5) to his water bottle before a big hike.  He adds True Orange to his hot chocolate for an orange zip.  He is totally addicted.



True Lemon and its companions, True Lime and True Orange, have simple ingredients - always a plus.  True Lemon contains:  citric acid, evaporated cane juice, lemon juice, lemon oil, and ascorbic acid (vitamin C).  If you want a truly sugar-free product, well, this isn't it, but I don't mind the small amount of sugar in the packet.  I suspect that it helps carry the flavor through in a more pleasing way, and it's better than using an artificial sweetener.  The box says that each packet is the equivalent of about a tablespoon of juice.

My husband likes True Lemon the best with True Orange a close second.  I like True Lime the best.  True Orange is all smell and no flavor for me.  The kids, well, they're not sold on these.  In fact, they don't like them at all.  They also don't like water infused using citrus slices either.

If you want a refreshing citrus zip in your water, tea, or whatever drink you're imbibing in and don't always have fresh citrus on hand for the task, give True Lemon a try.  You can even go to their site and request a free sample.  I've got a few packets that live in my purse now for those times when I want a little flavor in my water without all of the sugar or sodium.

(Oh...and this isn't something that you have to limit just to drinks!  My husband likes to use a packet on peas, and True Lemon has a whole section devoted to recipes using their products.  I won't be replacing fresh lemons with these little packets, but they do have a valid place in my pantry!)

I have no affiliation with True Lemon.  All samples were purchased with my own money, and all opinions are my own.

4 comments:

Amy July 25, 2010 at 7:49 PM  

just requested my free samples! thanks cathy.

maubs August 23, 2010 at 3:56 AM  

Do you know the source of the Citric Acid? Truly from lemons, or from corn?

cathy August 24, 2010 at 10:10 AM  

Maubs - you are the second person to ask me about that. Look for a post on citric acid production very soon.

site July 30, 2012 at 4:36 AM  

For my part every person should read it.

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP