It's Pumpkin Muffin Time!

>> Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I've posted these muffins before (um...many times before), but they're just so right for this time of year that I'm posting them again.  Full of pumpkin-y goodness, they're a nice foil to all of the sweets that are making the rounds this week.  Plus, these muffins are surprising kid pleasers.  I haven't met a kid yet who doesn't scarf these muffins down. 

As a bonus, you can frost these with a simple cream cheese frosting for a delicious and more healthy cupcake.  I served frosted pumpkin muffins at my son's Halloween party last year.  The kids loved them!

This recipe remains basically unchanged, but I seem to keep upping the amount of pumpkin I add to my muffins.  I like them packed full of pumpkin, but you could use a little less if you wanted. 

Enjoy!

Pumpkin Muffins

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1- 15 oz can pumpkin (be careful not to get a can of pumpkin pie filling!) or about 2 cups roasted pumpkin puree
1/3 cup olive oil
2 large eggs
2 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line mini-muffin pan with muffin cups.

Mix together pumpkin, oil, eggs, pumpkin-pie spice, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl until smooth. Mix together flour and baking powder and add to the pumpkin mixture. Mix until just combined.

Add batter to each muffin cup so that each cup is about 3/4 full. Bake until puffed and golden brown and a wooden toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean, about 18-20 min.
Makes about 3 dozen.

If you don't have white whole wheat flour on hand, you can use regular whole wheat flour for a final product with a slightly wheatier taste or change the flour proportions to 3/4 cup all-purpose flour and 3/4 cup regular whole wheat flour.

10 comments:

Amy October 26, 2010 at 7:25 PM  

You can never post pumpkin muffins too many times! Delicious!

Sheri October 27, 2010 at 12:27 PM  

Sorry I sent you the message about the flour. I see now on the website that you answered it. Love your blog!!!

Mariko October 31, 2010 at 11:45 AM  

Pumpkin is pretty much all I think about these days.

sagan.morrow@gmail.com November 1, 2010 at 4:26 PM  

Yay muffins!

I want a muffin/cupcake very badly right now.

Lori November 2, 2010 at 10:06 AM  

I definitely have to try these this year! Yours look so pretty. I like making muffins, but I suffer from ugly muffin syndrome. They never bake up so beautifully! :)

Melissa November 2, 2010 at 6:39 PM  

I just found your blog randomly and I really like it! I am trying to conceive and would like to eat healthier, but feel overwhelmed with the advice out there (so much of it is conflicting). I also don't cook, which is an issue (my husband does, but he travels during the week). Anyway, I find your posts to be informative and understandable. Thanks very much!!

acrylic trophies November 7, 2010 at 1:20 AM  

Thank you for the recipe. I'll surely try it..

elpi November 12, 2010 at 11:52 PM  

i seen many pumpkin muffin recipe and this one really a good one with less ingredients.

Emma September 5, 2012 at 5:35 AM  

It's all erroneous the thing you are saying.

Gretchen April 20, 2019 at 11:16 AM  

I've been making your muffins several times a year since I found your recipe in 2014 or so. I appreciate that you use the whole can of pumpkin! Like you, I have increased the amount of pumpkin pie spice, to 3 tsp.

I've wondered why you use olive oil rather than say, canola.

Thank you!

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP