Kitchen tips

>> Sunday, November 7, 2010

Did you miss me?  I'm back, and today I'm going to share just a few random kitchen tips that I use quite often in my cooking.  I'll admit, these are not rocket science, but sometimes even the obvious is not so obvious until someone points it out.  Maybe one of these tips will resonate with you!

  • While I adore any cream laden recipe, my husband does not tolerate cream very well, and let's face it, cream is high in fat and calories!  My solution?  I substitute lowfat evaporated milk for cream in cream-based sauces.  This substitution won't work for every dish, but it makes a remarkably good sauce in dishes where cream is used but is not the main sauce component.  Evaporated milk works better than plain milk because it has a more luxurious mouth feel - even without all of the fat - than regular milk.  
 
  • Here's an obvious tip - use twice the cinnamon called for in a recipe for a more pronounced cinnamon kick.  I like an intense cinnamon flavor, and often recipes just don't quite have enough cinnamon umph for me.  So, I just double the cinnamon.  In general, it doesn't change the overall flavor profile, just gives a little more cinnamon-y goodness.
  • Trying to increase the amount of whole grains in your diet while still indulging in baked goods with a light texture and flavor?  Revamp your baked goods recipes by substituting white whole wheat flour for half of the all-purpose flour.  White whole wheat flour has all of the nutrition of regular whole wheat flour (read more about the differences and similarities between the two flours) but with a much milder wheat flavor.  Because whole wheat flours have much less gluten than all-purpose flour, the texture of whole wheat baked goods is different.  By substituting only half of the refined flour, the texture of the baked good will be mostly preserved.
  • Have a recipe that calls for buttermilk but you don't have any?  Try this old buttermilk substitute - add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to a cup of milk.  Stir and let sit for 5 minutes or so.  Works like a charm every time!  You can also use lemon juice, but because the acidity of lemon juice could change from lemon to lemon, the results may not be as consistent.
  • I love using completely all natural, plain jane peanut butter.  I don't like the layer of oil the separates on the top, though, because it splatters and is messy when I stir it in.  I could pour it off, but then I'm pouring off the good-for-you fats and am left with a dry peanut butter.  A friend clued me in on an easy solution recently - simply flip the jar upside down and store in your pantry until ready to open and mix.  When you open the jar, the oils will all be in the bottom, making it just a little easier to mix the oil in without splattering it everywhere.  
  • Another natural peanut butter (or any nut butter) tip - after you mix the separated oil in completely, store in the fridge.  The oil will solidify and won't separate (or at least will take a very long time to separate).  As a bonus, your peanut butter will also stay fresher longer!
  • Last, what do you do if your child goes to a school that has banned peanuts?  Don't fret over lost peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!  Just quietly make the switch to almond butter.  It's an awesome peanut butter substitute.  Jarred almond butter is more expensive than peanut butter, so look for store ground almond butter to keep the cost down.  And if nut butters of all sorts are banned, check out sunflower seed butter or soy butter. 
What's your favorite kitchen tip?  

12 comments:

Amy November 8, 2010 at 9:24 AM  

Great tips! I am going to go turn my jar of peanut butter upside down right now! Why didn't I think of that before!!

Sheri November 8, 2010 at 1:41 PM  

We also put the evaporated milk in our coffee in the morning. Not sure it saves us a ton of fat vs half n half, but my parents always drank this, so it's second nature to me. Loved these tips!

Unknown November 8, 2010 at 4:30 PM  

I missed you! :)

I use spelt flour in place of all-purpose flour; it works the exact same (or at least, it has so far in every recipe I've used it for!). I also use two to four times as much cinnamon as recipes call for on a regular basis. I'm cinnamon-obsessed.

Fi November 9, 2010 at 1:44 AM  

Where I am we can get creamed cottage cheese. I'm not sure if this is a common product, as in, I haven't noticed it when I've traveled. Anyway, that's what I use as a cream substitute. Or sometimes cream cheese.

Jill (healthykiddosnacks) November 9, 2010 at 4:26 PM  

In line with the almond butter tip I think there are a lot of great butter substitutes out there. Our new favorite is sunflower butter,which tastes surprisingly similar to peanut butter.

My big cookie baking tip- substitute half your butter for an equal amount of applesauce. You'll never know the difference and cut out a lot of fat.

Mariko November 10, 2010 at 5:46 PM  

I actually discovered that if you just turn out the whole jar into your kitchen aid, spin it around, and then put it back in, it takes about 10 seconds. It's way faster and less messy than trying to stir it (at least for me). I always get it everywhere.
Is white whole wheat the same as whole wheat pastry flour?

elpi November 12, 2010 at 11:45 PM  

i mixed evaporated milk into my coffee and also into my rice congee.

postzoom November 15, 2010 at 6:35 PM  

We are looking for great blogs and we would love it if you registered yours with us.

PostZoom is a directory of the best blog posts which helps readers find great blog posts and our goal is to help blog owners drive more traffic to their blog.

If you are interested in joining, please check us out!

Thanks,
Eric Castelli
PostZoom

stephanie. January 9, 2011 at 4:29 PM  

i actually dump the entire jar of peanut butter in a seperate container, use my hand mixer to mix it, and then store in the fridge. i know it's an extra step and something else to clean, but it's only once per jar! and i find it really makes a difference.

crystal awards July 15, 2011 at 2:50 PM  

Thanks for the tips!
I had a customer tell me recently about the upside down peanut butter trick, I've been doing it ever since. I do it with ketchup and mustard now too, no more watery grossness if you forget to shake :)

Princess August 30, 2015 at 1:44 AM  

From this blog post: http://alifelesssweet.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/kitchen-tips.html
Can you update the name mentions of Able Trophies to Able Recognition, we have a new brand name.

Also, our new domain is www.ablerecognition.com, so if you could update that URL as well.

Thanks

Princess August 30, 2015 at 3:34 AM  

From this blog post: http://alifelesssweet.blogspot.ie/2010/11/kitchen-tips.html
Can you update the name mentions of Able Trophies to Able Recognition, we have a new brand name.

Also, our new domain is www.ablerecognition.com, so if you could update that URL as well.

Thanks

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP